I can’t believe we’re just 6 months away from Christmas again! I hope you’ve taken advantage of the first half of 2019. Please share your wins and opportunities for improvement in the comments.
Check out what I’ve accomplished so far and read about the exciting things coming up soon. Also, download the Ultimate Goal-Setting Checklist for guidance on your goals.
What are my 2019 goals?
The big goals are:
- Complete Operation: Sock Away $10K by April 30. Having a huge Sunny Day Fund, or emergency fund, will give me peace of mind.
- Visit 2-4 new places in China (e.g. Yangshuo, Xian, etc.). It would be a shame to live here so long and not explore its beauty.
- Pay off $19K in ’19. This goal will help me pay off my penultimate grad school loan and break even on net worth. How amazing!
- Read everything on the Life-Changing Books List and apply 1 thing from each book (20 books in 2019). Will you join the reading challenge?
- Complete the Happiness Planner (100 days). This goal will help record my emotions and reflect on the highs and lows of each week.
- Attend 1 social event each month. I gotta do something besides each brunch with friends. This year, I plan to branch out and meet more people.
How have I done with my 2019 goals so far?
Through dedication and the universe working in my favor, I’ve already checked off 3 goals.
- Complete Operation: Sock Away $10K by April 30. DONE! I completed this goal in mid-May thanks to hard work, budgeting and prioritizing needs over wants. A travel stipend from work in April capped everything off. I decided to keep $8,500 in the Sunny Day Fund and use the remaining $1,500 for travel expenses.
- Visit 2-4 new places in China (e.g. Yangshuo, Xian, etc.). DONE! I’ve visited a couple villages I hadn’t been to for Chinese New Year and the Dragon Boat Festival. One trip was on my birthday, so the organizers and host family surprised me with longevity noodles. It’s a traditional bowl of Ramen noodles that promises you’ll have a long life. I had the trip of all trips when I visited Yangshuo in late June. Oh em gee! Those mountains are breathtaking. It took hours to hike to the peak, but that view was well worth the sweat and slight knee pain. The next day, we toured the main streets of Yangshuo City and biked through the mountains. It rained all day, but we didn’t care. We ate well throughout the weekend and shared so many laughs. This trip is one for the books!
- Pay off $19K in ’19. I started working on this goal in May after meeting the savings goal. With careful planning, side gigs and the expected raise next school year, I should meet this goal.
- Read everything on the Life-Changing Books List and apply 1 thing from each book (20 books in 2019). So far so good! I’ve read 10 of the 20 books I need to complete the list. My favorites include Outliers, The One Thing and The Millionaire Fastlane and The Power of Now. I might not have read these gems without coming across this list.
- Complete the Happiness Planner (100 days). DONE! From January 1 to early April, I planned my days and recorded every high, low, meal and exercise. It was an excellent exercise in prioritizing and reflection. I loved journaling so much that I bought a second 100-day Happiness Planner. When I’m done with that, I’ll start another. I’ll plan to uphold this daily habit for the rest of my life.
- Attend 1 social event each month. So far so good! Sip & Paint. Go-karting. Visiting Chinese temples and participating in Chinese traditions. Hiking. Attending seminars on money management. Rooftop yoga. I’ve definitely gotten out of my comfort zone this year and branched out from brunch. I’ve met some awesome people along the way and can’t wait to see what the rest of the year holds.
AND THERE’S MORE!